Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CT Scan Question  (Read 2789 times)
sickforoverhalfoflife

« on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:06 AM »

I recently joined this forum and plan on writing my story with VNS very soon. My problem is that before I introduce myself and write my story, I have to have a CT scan tomorrow. Due to depression and other health issues I haven't had a chance to read that many stories of people on here who have had CT scans with a VNS device. I did read a couple of messages and replies saying that there can be interactions with the VNS device and CT scans and that some people have also been ok when they have had CT scans.

My VNS device is off and has been since 2009 or 2010. I have not been able to find out if the battery is worn out or if the device stopped working because of complications during a seperate surgery procedure around medical equipment in which I was under the knife at the time.

No matter what the reason, I am supposed to have a CT scan of my pituitary gland tomorrow at the local hospital. My question is

Does Anyone here think I should just wear my magnet over the device,(even though the device is off) and get the CT scan which I desperately need since I have been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor before?

I'm obviously going to ask the hospital about it today when I preregister for the procedure, but I would just feel better getting the opinion or ideas of members of this board who have have been in similar situations or have a lot more knowlege when it comes to the VNS device. Thank you.
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:03:19 AM »

Welcome sickforoverhalfoflife!  I am so sorry for not answering your question sooner. I'm sure you've had your CT by now and were told no magnets allowed.  There is an FDA alert reguading CT's

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/psn/transcript.cfm?show=80#2

FDA is alerting healthcare professionals that the x-rays emitted during CT exams may cause some electronic medical devices to malfunction. These malfunctions are different from those related to MRI scanning, which are caused by strong electrical and magnetic fields.

Most patients with electronic medical devices do not experience problems with CT scans, but FDA has received a small number of reports in which the scans may have caused unintended shocks from neurostimulators, malfunctions of insulin pumps, and transient changes in pacemaker output. Theoretically, defibrillators, cochlear implants and retinal implants could also be affected.

Here is what FDA recommends to help reduce any possible risk:

• Before beginning a CT scan, use scout views to check whether the patient has an electronic medical device and where it is. If the device is in or very near the area to be scanned, there are several steps to take.

• Determine the device type. If it is an externally worn device, try to move it out of the scan range, if possible. If it is a neurostimulator, ask the patient to temporarily shut it off.

• During the scan, minimize x-ray exposure to the device by using the lowest x-ray tube current that will allow you to get the required image, and by making sure that the x-ray beam does not dwell over the device for more than a few seconds. If the procedure requires continuous scanning over the device for longer than that, as with CT perfusion or interventional exams, be ready to take emergency measures to treat adverse reactions if they occur.

• After the scan, remind the patient to turn the device back on if it was turned off beforehand. Even if the device was turned off during the scan, ask the patient to be sure that it is working properly. If not, tell the patient to contact their healthcare provider as soon as possible.

I have had CT's and no ill effects as have many other members.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: