Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Steps of Acceptance  (Read 5716 times)
howdydave

« on: August 07, 2011, 07:42:37 AM »

My steps in the acceptance of my epilepsy

• Epilepsy! -- What's epilepsy?
  • Denial (No I DON'T have epilepsy!)
  • Why me? / Why is God punishing me?
  • I'm some sort of freak! / My life is ruined! / I can't do any of the things that I want to do!
  • OK I have epilepsy... Guess I'm going to have to learn to live with it! -- Now I'll find out who my REAL friends are!
  • I am not an epileptic, I am a person who happens to have epilepsy! -- Lots of great people have had epilepsy!
  • Life goes on.
  • Epilepsy/epileptic what's the big deal? People with diabetes are diabetic; people with asthma are asthmatic. It's just a word...
  • Epilepsy is just one facet of what makes me ME! -- This is ME, take it or leave it!

Some of these steps took years to get past...
Some were over in less than a week...
Some overlap.

The sequence is not the same for everybody.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:51:57 AM by howdydave » Logged

Dave
dennis100
Moderators

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »

Now I'll find out who my REAL friends are!

Well put howdydave - I lost a majority of my (so called) friends.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:52:47 AM by dennis100 » Logged
howdydave

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »

BTW: It took me about 35 years to get all the way through my acceptance stages.

This isn't a quick process!

Dave
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »

Ha ha ha!   I get to do this TWICE!

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
NancyB

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:27:20 AM »

When I first was diagnosed with epilepsy; or 'seizure-disorder', however you want to put it; I immediately thought of my moms' seizures and how I remember some people treating her before AND after she had a seizure. It was almost as if she had the plague or something. I also remembered how I'd seen seizures portrayed on tv with people lying on the ground and convulsing and twisting their bodies in ways I didn't think were even possible. I almost felt that I now had the 'curse', but do you want to know how I feel about it now? I thank GOD I have this. I know it might seem strange, but not only has it given me a whole new appreciation to what my mom had gone through, but it has actually opened up my mind. I now have a thought process that is so keen that it is almost frightening. I have learned more about life; about people; about everything in general SINCE I developed this seizure disorder. It has given me a totally new understanding of so many things, so much so that if I ever were given the choice to have things back the way they were, I don't think I'd take it. I am one of the lucky ones who have medication that keeps them in control and I know that has alot to do with it, but I wouldn't change a thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: