Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VNS affect speech??  (Read 7126 times)
Summertime13

« on: July 18, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »

My daughter's VNS was implanted in 2008 although it seems to be having great control of her seizure activity and abscence seizures, I noticed that her speech has become less and less over the yrs to the point of speaking only a few words a day some days. Wondering if its from the VNS and if anyone has had similar problems...   Undecided
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »

Grin  HI Summertime13!  WELCOME to the Board!

Sorry for my late response--sheesh, I'm visiting family in England at the moment and have been away from the board.

Question--does your daughter have a brain injury or developemental disabilities?  I have a brain injury and when my device was stimulating, at times I had increased issues with speech.  VNS isn't approved for use in persons with a brain injury per the manual.

Glad to hear she has had success with the device in managing her seizures.  Please do visit with her doc about the speech issues.

Be well, hope to hear from you again soon!

Cool

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
theathorne

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »

Hi, The vagus nerve is in close proximity to the vocal cords, so yes it could be the culprit. I know at one point my nonverbal, disabled son would cry and no sound would come out:( It was so sad to see. He couldn't even babble anymore. Once the system was removed it all came back. I am glad it has helped with the seizure control, because it did not for my son. Maybe they can do some adjustments to decrease this effect. Best wishes:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: