Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VNS/TBI and Gait Disorder  (Read 4124 times)
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« on: April 18, 2011, 11:35:14 PM »

Smiley HEY E'ryone!  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Date 05/01/2001
Event Type Injury Patient Outcome Required Intervention;
Event Description
Reporter indicated that patient began to have trouble walking approximately 2 weeks post-activation. In 2001, family member reported that the patient was not following commands and was losing cognitive information that the patient once knew. Device was programmed to off.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=342214

Dennis posted a MAUDE report of a person who acquired a walking disorder while using VNS.    I too acquired one and was recently put in a wheelchair due to all the complications from poor gait & disturbing my traumatic brain injury by using VNS.  I was not going to accept this, so I went for a 2nd opinion.  FINALLY I found a doctor who looked beyound what caused this and moved forward to fixing this best he could.  I was fitted for a leg brace, and it was placed yesterday.  So far, even though it is very painful, the brace has forced my drop foot into a natural position, and it has forced my foot to do a heal toe connect instead of walking on my tippy toes.  The pain is because the muscles and tendons have stretched themselves to acustom walking on my toes, so they hurt being forced into the natural position.  And, this is the same foot that I broke in November due to a trip/fall incident which has healed in the broken position.  IT WILL GET BETTER as I'm told, and I've got to believe with all my heart that this may be what makes things go back to pre-VNS days.

Wanted to share this part of my life for all of you to read there is hope to make things better after VNS complications!  If you're in the Southern Colorado area (or are willing to travel to get a great doc!), please send me a msg and I'll be more than happy to share this doc's contact info!  I have his and his staff's permision to put it out here!  Be well!

Cool
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:42:16 PM by Dispatch » Logged

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »

You are very brave, and have had to endure more than your share.  I had no idea how rough life had become for you.  It's like every time there's a doctor appointment, there's also a new and more challenging condition.
Ain't like a bitch?

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
dennis100
Moderators

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:12:33 AM »

Sorry to hear about your problems Dispatch. Did your surgeon mention anything about nerve damage when the electrodes were removed?

Here is another report for you,

Event Date 01/01/2003
Event Type Injury Patient Outcome Life Threatening; Disability
Event Description
Reporter indicated that vns pt has experienced seven stroke-like episodes in the last two years, but that ct scans were done and showed that no stroke actually occurred during any of these episodes. The episodes, one of which the pt is currently experiencing, are characterized by slow speech and not being able to walk. Treating neurologist reportedly does not know what is causing these episodes. Report is incomplete because no response has been received to manufacturer's requests for additional information from treating neurologist. Additionally, no response has been received to manufacturer's attempts to confirm whether the pt is still implanted with her original generator or whether she has undergone generator replacement surgery.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=657865

Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »

Wink WOW Dennis, thanks for finding and posting another report...just very sad to read yet more bad things.  Yes, there is vagus nerve damage that was done during removal per the neurosurgeon because my leads fractured and he had to dig around, etc.  VNS and vagus nerve damage (while implanted in me with a TBI) is the culprit.  I am so very grateful that I finally found someone who was willing to try and fix part of this mess-well, what is in his scope.

I heart you all and appreciate all your support & guidance.  xXx

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: