Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bad Headaches Post-Explantation  (Read 3960 times)
ericksmc999

« on: October 05, 2010, 06:09:04 AM »

Hello,
I'm new to this message board.  I recently had most of my VNS device removed.  However, since the surgery I've had terrible, continuous headaches (its been 3 1/2 weeks now) particularly on the left side of my head.  There is about 8 cm or so of coil left in my neck but nothing else.  Has anyone else had these headache problems?  Thanks!
oreo
Moderators

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:11 AM »

Hi Erick,

Welcome to the board.  My VNS is working pretty well for me (put in for depression).  I have some crummy side effects, but headache is not one of them.

I know there are several people here who have had their devices removed...and I have also read quite a few people have had serious headaches, but I'm not sure if it was after explant.

I know you'll get a response soon if they've had this experience or know of others who have.

There's a lot of wisdom and experience to be found here, so I'm glad you found us!

Take care, Oreo

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.
~James Yorke~
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »

Grin HI Erick & WELCOME to the board!  Glad you stopped in and posted!  Hope you've had a chance to look around all the places here to help with your question.

I have had headaches because of a traumatic brain injury, so yes there is that in my history.  The use of VNS exasperated my brain injury & increased my headaces in frequency, duration, and intensity.  After the device was shut off, the headaches went away, except back to the typical ones prior to implant.  After explant, I have had quite a few doozy of headaches that nothing really touches till it works it course and my Neuro said it was partially from vagus nerve damage received upon removal.

Hey, I just remembered something too that caused my headache to be worse after removal and that is the way my neck was positioned for the surgery.  That's about like a whiplash feeling.  Could it be that as a cause or contributor to your headaches?

Are the coils still around your nerve?  I assume so since you said you had all that wire in your neck still.

Hope you are doing well, and improving as each day passes!  Hope to hear from you again soon!

Cool

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
ericksmc999

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »

Thanks guys for your input!  I appreciate it.  Sorry I haven't been on here for quite a while.  Headaches are still pretty bad.  I think I'm going to start a new topic since a few new issues have arisen.
All the best
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »

Smiley Hey Erick!  Welcome back!  Good to hear from you!  Looking forward to your new topic!  Take care!

Cool

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: