Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Need to have whole VNS REMOVED...what doctor?  (Read 7618 times)
dbtsarah
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:15:51 PM »

Hi - wish I had found this message board a lot earlier in my VNS journey...

For medical reasons I need to have my VNS device removed - lead and battery.  I had a vascular surgeon put it in but he has retired since and I don't know what doctor to call to have it taken out, and neither do my doctors!

I have an ENT which a lot of people have suggested for the lead part (he has to take out swollen lymph nodes in my neck anyway) but can he do the side as well?  He does not seem really comfortable...

Any help you can give would be very appreciated - thank you!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:38:20 PM by Birdbomb » Logged
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »

I had to edit out your name and email address for security reasons.  Please register to have members contact you.

You need to find surgeon who works with the carotid sheath.  And it will usually take some time to find a surgeon willing to remove the leads.  

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Bernard
Excelsior!
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:04:14 AM »

I have an ENT which a lot of people have suggested for the lead part (he has to take out swollen lymph nodes in my neck anyway) but can he do the side as well?  He does not seem really comfortable...
Hi dbtSarah, welcome to the forum.

Many surgeons are wary of trying to remove the VNS leads/coils because scar tissue develops around them and removing them safely is difficult.  The concern is damaging the Vagus nerve during the removal.

What do you know about neurofeedback?
Check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments.
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »

:D HI dbtSarah!   :Welcome: to the VNS Message Board!  Glad you found us, and please do become a registered Memeber so you can have full access to tons of info.

Complete removal is possible (I myself have had complete removal).  It depends on the surgeon, what they are comfortable with, and definately the safety issues of removing the coils due to scar tissue and such.  A vascular surgeon put mine in, and a Neurosurgeon took mine out.

Take great care!
B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: