Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Having battery replace questions  (Read 11954 times)
Patricia
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:04:23 AM »

I have had my vns for 6 years one year it was turn off. My neurologist  said that his experience you only get a couple of week notice when it goes out so he want me to schedule a surgery for the battery change. I sure haven't read alot of positive feedback on the board here. My vns has been working very well for me. I guess I have been very blessed that it works. I have a consultation schedule with the surgeon my question is  there any questions I should ask him is there anything new with the vns.I have trouble commictaing getting my thoughts out so I hope I did this post ok.I have had only 2 seizures this year. Where in years pack I had 6 to 10 a day so I feel like t his is working for me. It really scared me when I reading the legistative stuff in this forum.  
Patricia
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »

I am schedule to have my battery change In December. I have had the Vns for 6 years. At first it did not help out a lot. We even turn it off a whole year but I had it turn back on and my neuro was finally able to get the setting right. I have only had 2 seizures this year where in the past I would  have seizures 6 to 8 a day. So I am please with it. It is a lot better than being drug on the seizure meds all the time that is how they affected me personally.   My question is for anyone who have had a battery replacement how long was your recuperation time after>How long did your neuro wait to turn it back on. My neuro is wanting to turn it on right away like the next day. I was wondering if anyone can give me any input. Thank You all Patricia
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »

:D HI Patricia, and behalf of all of us at the VNS Message Board,   :Welcome:, and I am happy you joined us in the Guest forum!  I encourage you to become a registered Member so you can take full advantage of what the board has to offer!

I am really happy you have had success with VNS!  With many patients it does take "tweaking" to get to the perfect setting to have success with the device.  I learn more and more everyday about VNS, and I have really gathered lately that some people need the device shut off for awhile then turned back on to have success.  I don't understand that, but it just seems that way.

Don't let the negative scare you, although we are real people here and some of us are true horror stories of VNS as a treatment option.  There needs to be regulation of this device to stop future horror stories.  Please read further into the board to find the success stories-there are Members that have had great luck and are doing fantastic.

I have never had a battery replacement, but I do know it is not just a simple battery replacement.  The whole generator in your chest gets replaced, so it is much like implant although the coils and leads (in your neck) are left alone this time around.  When you were implanted, were you advised the whole generator would need replaced upon battery depletion?  I was not told this until after implant.  Cyberonics made it sound like it was as simple as changing a battery. Some Neuro's turn the device on right away and others wait the 2 weeks.  When I had mine shut off for emergency surgery, the Psychiatrist stated she could not turn it back on right away and back to the setting it was on because of the chance of hurting the vagus nerve.  So, with that in mind, it was turned on 2 weeks later and at the beginning-.25 miliamps.  I am learning that each doc does things their own way, and some follow the book to the "T".

I hope you continue to have great success with VNS!  The best of luck to you for an uneventful surgery, and please do come back and keep us updated.  I look forward to seeing you on the Members list!

Take care!
B)    

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Patricia
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »

Dispatch thank you so much for answering my question. I  guess what I didn't like when I went for my consultation I did not get it becuase of the insursance screw up so I didn't get to ask question how the replacing the battery surgery was done all I got told it would take about 40 min I do recall the initial implant was about 45 minutes. I have my blood work up and eeg and stuff on the 14th maybe I will find up more than. They did say it will probably take a couple of week to heal. Thanks again for taking the time.Patricia
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »

:D HI Patricia!

You're more than welcome!  I am hoping to hear good news from you!

Take care!
B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »

I've had my battery replaced two times. It's not as painful as getting it in the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: