Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 20 years epilepsy  (Read 23049 times)
Lorena
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »

hello, I am from Romania and I have had epilepsy for more than 20 years.I am interested in the VNC therapy and I would like to know the cost for the device to see if I can afford.Thank you! :)  
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »

:D HI Lorena and  :Welcome: to the VNS Message Board!  I encourage you to register and become a Member so you can take full advantage of everything the board has to offer.

VNS here in America is costly.  We have insurance companies that will pay for the therapy if it prescribed for Epilepsy, but most insurance companies no longer pay for Depression.  We also have 2 government systems that assist low income, the elderly, & disabled with medical payments.  Neither will not pay for VNS for Depression.

There are Members here who have stated they/or their insurance companies were billed much higher prices than the $25,000 (USD) Cyberonics states the device and implant costs are.  Also, after the implantation, there are multiple follow-up visits with your doc.  It may be good for you to visit with a surgeon who implants VNS so he/she can tell you what it may cost you, and check if you have insurance that covers VNS.  Plus, it is also very important to make sure you are a proper candidate for this type of therapy.  You can access the Physicians and Patients Manuals from the main page of this board.

I wish you the best of luck in your search, and again, please register to become a Member so we can get to know you.  Until then, take great care!
B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Bernard
Excelsior!
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:09:37 AM »

Hi Lorena, are you looking to travel to the USA to get the device implanted?  

If not, your local hospital/neurologist should be able to help you find out information about costs for the procedure and post-implant care.  You might also ask if there is a local Cyberonics (VNS manufacturer) representative who could answer questions.

What do you know about neurofeedback?
Check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments.
Tincatt

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »

Today makes 10 for me rather depressing  Cry    hang in there
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

Many events are life changing, weddings, a new baby, changing jobs, death of a loved one, chronic illness.  Weddings end and become a life style, new babies become, "our kids", job changes are a normal thing, time helps us cope with death but chronic illness is the most dramatic because it's with us every moment of every day. Every thought and movement are affected and a constant reminder that we are no longer the the same  person.  For the most part, these chronic illnesses are a cursed thing, yet, even something as hideous as a chronic illness has it's silver lining. We meet others with the same issues and discover we are not alone and there are others out there who do know and understand what we are going through.  Our worlds are opened up to see and have more compassion for others in the same situation.

I knew and understood what my diagnoses meant. When I was 19, my best friend had suddenly and unexpectedly died from non stop seizure.  Every one feels depressed and angered about the way their world changes , including me, except my changes would also change the lives of many others.  It created this site, and in turn introduced me to people who would also impact my life.  I have spoken to people world-wide, been interviewed by reporters,  taken part in saving lives and made some awesome friends.  It hasn't been all great.  My site has been under attacked. I have a stalker who's soul intent is to destroy my site and me.  He's also gone after members and staff, scaring people half to death.  My health and personal problem have changed for the worse keeping me from participating as much as I need and want to.

I hate my disorders but would not change a thing.  Everything happens for a reason.  Ten years is a long time, Tincatt. It may be a sad anniversary, but maybe an important one.  I believe it depends on how we impact the lives of others. Thank you for being here at this time.  (hugs)

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: