Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can VNS work for Gastric Peresis?  (Read 9740 times)
Barbra
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »

A good friend of mine was diagnosed with Gastric Peresis, which is caused by vagus nerve damage.  I'm trying to help by gathering as much information as I can.  It seems that there's little hope for comfort, but I'm not satisfied with that answer.  I've seen that the VNS is used for seizures and depression, but if the vagus nerve also controls the stomach, does that mean it could help her problem too?  Does anyone know?  Thanks!  Barbra
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:49:47 AM »

:D HI Barbra and  :Welcome: to the VNS Message Board!  I encourage you to become a Member so you can take full advantage of all the information on the board!

The longer I am a Member, the more I learn.  Your question is one I have never seen before, and I have never heard of your friends condition.  Before I began answering you, I google searched it and now know a little bit about it.  It sounds like something that is quite uncomfortable to have and I am sorry to know (from what I read on google) your friend probably doesn't feel very well.

I'm not a medical doctor and can't give medical advice.  I do have experience with VNS, and one of my side effects that was something I was no longer able to tolerate was the excessive nausea and vomiting.  I am not sure if your friend would be a proper candidate for VNS with having vagus nerve injury.  You can access both the Physicians and Patients Manuals from the front page of this site.  Please read them or have your friend read them.  You can download them from this site as well.

I do know VNS is used off label, but so far, use of this device is supposed to be limited to treatment in epilepsy and depression-it's only FDA approved for those conditions.  Another thing I found on google is Medtronics has a device called "Enterra" that is used for your friends condition, and it is a device that is implanted in the abdomen after medication treatments have failed.  I have no knowledge of the Enterra device or Medtronics.

VNS is also being researched for the use in obesity.  A lot of people do loose weight after stimulation begins because the vagus nerve wonders to the tummy and the tummy can be affected by use of the device.  I myself lost weight because of the constant vomiting.  My tummy did feel full quicker, but I got to the point I wasn't holding food or liquids down very long.

I am very interested in what sort of treatment your friend is able to get for her diagnosis.  Please keep us updated and I hope you become a Member!

Take Care!
B)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:54:39 AM by Dispatch » Logged

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:08:11 AM »

I agree with Dispatch, please keep us updated on how your friend does.

Do become a member. Alot more of the board is opened up to you as a member!

Barbra
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

Thank you so much for your feedback.  I'm guessing, because of your response, that the sypmtoms you are experiencing are the very reason the VNS would not work for my friend.  She also feels full quickly, and has lost weight.  The use of Ensure has prevented her from further unneeded weight loss, thank God!  The drugs aren't working unfortunately and I'm very concerned for her.  She's such a beautfiful, giving woman who already is legally blind in both eyes.  It's too bad it always seems that these wonderful people are the ones inflicted with such problems!  I will check into the Enterra and Medtronics.  Thanks for the lead!  I'll keep you posted.

And thank you for the invite!  I will check into becoming a member this weekend!
Barbra

labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »

VNS didn't cause me that much weight loose. I wish it had!

Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:03 AM »

Smiley HI EVERYBODY!

This morning I posted a link to the NIH about VNS/Gastroparesis/Diabetes in the Articles & Links Section-Please click on above tab "Articles and Links".

Take care!
Cool

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: