Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Contradictions  (Read 4549 times)
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« on: February 22, 2009, 07:43:54 AM »

Late-onset periodic asystolia during vagus nerve stimulation.

Summary Cardiac changes may occasionally occur during vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) used in epileptic patients. As they can be potentially life-threatening, it is important to detect them, and this is why an intraoperative test is performed during the implantation

Cardiac responses of vagus nerve stimulation: intraoperative bradycardia and subsequent chronic stimulation.

CONCLUSION: In case of intraoperative bradycardia VNS-therapy onset should be done under ECG-monitoring. Subsequent chronic stimulation is safe in respect to heart rate. Bradycardia during intraoperative device testing is no reason to abort the operation.

Animal model of the short-term cardiorespiratory effects of intermittent vagus nerve stimulation.

PURPOSE: To develop an animal model of the effects of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) on heart rate and respiration in studies of seizure treatment. METHODS: Nine rats implanted with ECG, EMG, and VNS electrodes and pulse generator were stimulated with 81 different sets of parameters while they slept in a plethysmographic box. RESULT: From cardiorespiratory effects of VNS, an index (alpha) was found to distinguish between weak and strong VNS doses. Weak VNS dose induced an increase in respiratory frequency and no significant change in heart rate. The effect of VNS on respiration, similar to that observed in children, can be divided into 3 phases. Strong VNS dose induced a decrease in respiratory frequency concomitant with a decrease in heart rate. Increasing the intensity of the VNS induced a proportional increase in the maximal inspiratory strength. CONCLUSION: Various VNS parameter settings induce different and concomitant cardiorespiratory variations in conscious sleeping rats. These effects correlate with the intensity of the VNS parameters. Understanding the effects of the intensity of VNS parameters may allow for further optimization of VNS parameters in patients receiving VNS.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

:D

Intersting reading...wonder what Dennis thinks about these publications.

B)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:15:08 PM by Dispatch » Logged

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
dennis100
Moderators

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »

Quote from: Birdbomb,Feb 22 2009, 11:43 AM
Late-onset periodic asystolia during vagus nerve stimulation.

" Only one patient with late-onset bradyarrythmia caused by VNS has been reported."

I wrote to the author and informed him that he didn't have his facts straight. This article really caught my eye because these spanish doctors were led to believe that their patient was only the second person ever to experience late-onset cardiac problems.

A Cyberonics rep told me that I was only the second person ever to experience such an event. My Neurologist thought that it was such a rarity he had planned on writting an article about the event for a national medical journal.

My guess is that when it can be proven that the VNS was the cause of a horrible adverse event the Cyberonics reps are trained to say "Out of all the VNS implants world wide an incident like this has only occured one time before." And if it can't be proven then its DENY,DENY,DENY.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:45:08 AM by dennis100 » Logged
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:54:03 AM »

:D

AND they are trained to say "User Error".  How can "User Error" cause cardiac issues, falling down while stimulating, device migration because it was implanted wrong, etc., etc., etc.?

So, I am curious how many patients have been told they need to limit or even quit exercising because it is that causing cardiac issues and not VNS.

B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
oreo
Moderators

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »

When I had my sleep study done over a year ago...there were periods of bradycardia throughout the night.  Since they were brief, the doc wasn't concerned.  Of course, I didn't have a sleep study prior to VNS to compare it with.  My guess is, that it would not have shown any bradycardia.

Simply walking really increases both shortness of breath & muscle spasms around my throat that feel like I won't be able to get a breath in during the 30 sec. stimulation.  I can't imagine what would happen if I tried to start jogging again like I did some years ago.

I'm willing to tolerate these side effects because of the benefit I get from VNS.  I can only imagine what people must feel like when they are having severe symptoms and the docs are saying it's not a problem with the device...it's a problem because you are WALKING...or DRINKING...or CRYING.   So, they want us to buy the fact that if we would just stop walking, drinking, crying, etc. - there would be no problem.

I wish one moral, honest, whistle blower would come forth from CYBX.  Oreo

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.
~James Yorke~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: