Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Demipulse Model 103  (Read 3668 times)
cmscribbles

« on: October 28, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has the newest VNS model 103 Demipulse and if so what do you think of it?  any problems?

Or if anyone has general information to share about the differences between the older model 102 and this newer one...I'd like to read it too.  I already know about the basic stuff that was in press releases like:
~ 103 lead test can run at lower milliamps <1
~ 103 allows for faster testing
~ 103 offers a calculated battery life expectancy
~ biggest difference is in size and weight of the device (I have all those specifications)

so I guess I'm looking for personal experience or info that I might not find googling.

Thanks!

Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »

Welcome cmscribbles

Off hand I don't know of anyone with this model.  Most of my members have the 102. They are also still implanting 102 due in part ot overstocking the hospitals in expectations of the depression market.   <_<

It will be interesting to see how many people do hacve this new unit.  I know the 102 has been plagued with sudden early EOS and no warning, and programing problems.  I do hope they ironed those all out with the 103.
 :yes2:  

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:56:13 AM »

:D HI cmscribbles and  :Welcome: to the board!

I had the 102 and have no experience and little knowledge of the 103, so I'm sorry I can't give you any input.  Just wanted to welcome you to the board!

Dispatch B)  

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Mom from Holland

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:24:25 AM »

I know( at this moment) 4 people with the 103. 1 Adult en 3 little children.

The adult female had the 101 for 6 years, an got the 103 last year in June.
She doesn`t feel or mentioned any difference with the 101. Only it feels better, because it`s smaller.

The little children can`t speak, but at this moment all goes well.

in Holland they started to use the 103 for the children because of the size of the generator.

This year, the 103 will become in more hospitals.

I heard there is a new model coming again, 104.

Life isn`t how to survive the storm,but how to dance in the rain!

Nino`s Mom, from Holland.
 Mom of a 16 years old son, vns since 2002.
cmscribbles

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »

Thank you birdbomb, dispatch and mom from holland for the welcome and sharing your info.

I know this is still in limited market release here in the states.  We have Kaiser and they are still using the older models.  I knew about the newer Demipulse and asked if they'd cover that model if my son had the vns implant procedure.  They said no.  They are considering it only a "cosmetic advantage"  However, as mom of holland's adult friend said, "it feels better"  it does make sense that it would feel better if it is smaller.  My son is not little.  21 yrs old, 160 lbs.  but he was preferring the choice of the smaller device.  Since Kaiser will not cover the additional cost--we'd have to pay the difference to get it.

We aren't thrilled about trying the VNS, but if it works we certainly will change our tune!!

peace~
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »

:D HI cmscribbles!

I hope you've had the chance to read the patient & physicians manuals.  You can access them here from the main page.  They are loaded with info about side effects and medical history exclusions, etc.

Please take full advantage of the board.  You will find other ideas for treatment options to talk over with your sons doctors.  You will also read about success stories and horror stories.  Is he being implanted for epilepsy or depression?  What ever you and your son's decision is for treatment, I wish great success.

Please keep us updated.  We all will love being a support system for you!

Dispatch B)  

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

goodtrex

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

I had a Model 103 implanted on 12-17-08.  Can't give you any additional info that you didn't already find out for yourself, but I'm glad I got a smaller one.
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »

The hospital was over stocked with 102, so I am on my third 102. I was told not all doctors are trained on the 103?? What special training could it take!

Mom from Holland

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:15:42 AM »

At this moment, 2009, almost all the vns hospitals ( in Holland)are only using the 103, or 104(dual). There are only 2 of them ,they won`t use the 103 only because of the money. But that story isn`t quite finished yet!
So this year, we will become a lot of people with the model 103 overhere!
There is almost nobody who wants the 102 anymore.
Labrat, as far as i know, there is no way of a special training needed for the 103.
Do they really think, there is anybody who believes that??? :Two Cents:

BTW vns is in Holland still only used by epilepsy.
For trd, they aren`t still that far, as it is in your country.

Strange when you think about this. The 103 is overhere more common, but for trd we are a way miles behind you guy`s!

oreo
Moderators

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 08:24:45 AM »

If a company creates a product...then improves on that product...why aren't they required to replace the "outdated" models still out in the hospitals?  If the original product does everything that is required to create the desired outcome, why would they produce another one?

Of course, the answer is $$$$$.  I know that if I ever get my insurance to do what it's supposed to do, when it comes time for a replacement, I will only accept the model that Cyberonics feels is their best product.  

:Tantrum:  Our world is a crazy place; sometimes I just want to kick someone from Cyberonics right in the butt!

Oreo

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.
~James Yorke~
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »

:D

HAHAHA Oreo!  You make me laugh!  Just someone or can you make that plural!?  I am right with you-if I still had an implant and it was time for a new one, I'd want what they considered the best.

Mom from Holland-it amazes me how we have the same product in both our country's and yet it is only used in your country for 1 diagnosis.  I find it amazing also that in your country patients get the 103 or 104, but here it is like Labrat said about being overstocked with the 102's.  In my opinion, I think Cyberonics thought VNS for TRD was going to take off more than it did, and so they did mass production.  Now they have all these 102's and the depression market isn't so swell.  

Are they saying anything in your country about the tests being conducted for the other treatments they want VNS approved for (obesity, migraines, etc.)?  Are they doing any studies in your country for other uses of VNS?

B)

Mom from Holland

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »

Well Dispatch, Holland is a little carefull on trying new products.
But in our "neighbourcountriy" Belgium they are more trying en studying then in our country.

P.e. Deep brain stimulation for epilepsy, is done for a couple times in Belgium. MRI with vns is possible in Belgium.

Well Holland is a very small country  and so is Belgium. I think you guy`s should laugh for the distance........

But i think it isn`t too bad that we are a little carefull about all of it overhere.

I don`t like the feeling of beiing a guineapig.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:40:46 PM by Mom from Holland » Logged

DoulaMomma

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »

My son was implanted with the 103 in July. Obviously though, I have nothing to compare it to.
jelliott

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 04:31:28 AM »

I have had my Demipulse 103 since April 10, 2008.  I have had no problems with mine (that I am aware of).  The small size is nice, it can still be felt under the skin but you cannot see it, other than the scar.  Check out my latest post from earlier, because there has been a recall on the model 103 and only your doctor can tell you if yours is affected by the recall.
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

I want the 103 next time and I hope it is a long time since my settings are lower.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: