Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Battery out  (Read 4873 times)
LJP
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »

<_< My sons VNS battery is due to go out-what does it feel like?  Are there any precursors to it going completely out?  He can not tell me what is going on so it is like trying to put the puzzle together with too many pieces.

Help
Thanks
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:08:12 AM »

If your son is non verbal then you will have to rely on clues from him.  Has his seizures increased?  Since the magnet is set higher then normal stimulation he should be able to feel it at each swipe.  Does he still feel stimulation when the magnet is swiped?  If in doubt, always have the doctor run an interigation.  This will tell him if the battery is EOS and also check for lead impedence.  There is a life expectancy of 3 years on the leads but Cyberonic$ fails to mention that to patients.

There are problems with the 102 model just going kaput without warning and much earlier than the expected EOS.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:37:09 PM »

HI! LJP,

I hope you become a member so you can access the whole board, share you sons experiences with VNS, and have an excellent support system!

Having the doctor interrogate your sons device would let you know if it's at end of service (EOS).  It is also beneficial to check for lead impedance as well.  If your son has had great success with VNS controling his seizures and if his seizure activity increased, it would be an idea that the battery may be depleating, and something worth checking into.

Hope to hear from you again soon!

Dispatch B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »

I've had two batteries to go dead. The first one my depression spiraled down very quickly. The second time I didn't notice anything. My doctor had checked it and it read high lead impedence, then he went on sick leave. Months later I found another doctor, out of town, and he got no reading at all, which meant it was totally dead. For how long? Anybody's guess.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: