Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VNS for TRD  (Read 6087 times)
Carrie
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:18:56 AM »

I am going in for surgery on September 17, 2008. I have read horror stories about this procedure. Not sure if I should go through with it. On the MAUDE report on the FDA website, it appears they have a ton of problems with the 102 series. Not a lot of issues with the 302. Help has anyone experienced malfunctioning with the 302?
Please help. Time is running out for me.   :Help:  
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:36:59 AM »

HI Carrie and  :Welcome: to the board!

I hope you have registered to be a member so you can utilize the tons of information here!

If I can ask some questions to get to know ya better so we can guide you correctly...Have you read the Patients & Physicians Manuals?  Are you aware that there are health history exclusions for VNS?  Are you fully aware of the adverse events and side effects?  The study stastics don't reflect the actual current population implanted.  Many insurance companies including Medicare don't cover VNS for Depression, but they will for Epilepsy.  Are you aware there are other treatment options that are not as invasive as VNS such as Neurofeedback and Keto diets?  One member here is very knowledgeable in Neurofeedback, and another in Keto diets, and another who is an awesome sucess story for VNS/TRD.  I was implanted for TRD, and have direct experience and knowledge of relaxation & meditation techniques along with talk therapy which greatly help my depression and seizure control, and I am no longer on any medication for depression, and only take 1 med for seizures.  These are somethings to bring up to your Physicians as possible alternatives to VNS.  I have been completely explanted and had the 102 series, but it was not explanted due to malfunction.

No matter what your condition is for VNS, please know there is good and bad to this treatment option no matter what series you have put in.  When you become a member, you will have access to read all the stories, and you can read that it has been successful in some, but not others.  Kuddo's to you for looking at the FDA site!  Glad you found us here too!

I hope we can be a great support system for you no matter what road you take to get better!

Dispatch B)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:50:49 AM by Dispatch » Logged

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »

I just registered and am waiting for the final approval before I can explore the board. Thanks for the invite to join.
I am trying to read the manuals however, due to the hurricane in Texas, their web is down and I am unable to obtain it. My insurance covers it 100% (BC/BS PPO). Why did you have it explanted if I may ask? I have TRD and have suffered fom depression for over 20 years and I am only 37.  
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »

I just registered and am waiting for the final approval before I can explore the board. Thanks for the invite to join.
I am trying to read the manuals however, due to the hurricane in Texas, their web is down and I am unable to obtain it. My insurance covers it 100% (BC/BS PPO). Why did you have it explanted if I may ask? I have TRD and have suffered fom depression for over 20 years and I am only 37.
HI Carrie!

I am just a Moderator, but when the Administrator gets on the board today, she will work on your approval....please be patient she is a busy lady!

You are welcome for the invite.  I look forward to getting to know you!  My heart goes out to you for struggling with depression for so long.  Even 2 weeks of depression is too long in my opinion, but many years is just devastating.  I too am young like you and have suffered with depresion for many years.  Once you become a member, you will be able to read all about me in the Your Story section which will explain why I was implanted and explanted.  There is also a link on this site to access the manuals providing the servers are up and running at Cyberonics.  In other areas of the board there are sections of the manuals pertaining to the individuals situation.

Due to my direct experience with BC/BS, they DO NOT cover VNS for TRD in any aspect since the decision by the Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS) concluded in May of 2007 that TRD was vaguely defined and VNS was not a resonable & effective treatment.  I was implanted before this decision, so mine was covered, however, explant has been non-covered even after Cyberonics told me it would be covered.  The hoops I have had to jump thru and the current formal appeals for the denials and subrogation for recovery of the monies BC/BS has paid for implant have been overwhelming with no help from Cyberonics.  If Cyberonics told you BC/BS covers implant and explant for TRD 100%, please directly contact BC/BS with the billing codes the docotrs and implanting facility will submit as well as the billing codes the doctor who adjusts your VNS will submit to make sure it is covered and get it in writing.  My policy with BC/BS did not require prior authorization for this, and claims are reviewed for payment when submitted.

Also, you can access the BC/BS website and read about their coverage for VNS for TRD.  I was told my VNS and implanting would cost around $25,000 and it was more than double, and I may have to pay my insurance back everything they paid on my VNS.  There are several members who's VNS was more than the quoted price by Cyberonics, members who have claims denied by other insurance carriers, and another who was subrogated and may have to pay $40,000 plus for her device....financial ruin.  I am actually not sure if the price was upped for the facility to make profit or if the money went to Cyberonics.

I do not in anyway want to take the wind out of your sail so to speak by giving you this information.  There are so many things in small print and not disclosed by Cyberonics and some doctors about VNS and coverage for VNS that you and all the others considering this as a treatment option need to be aware of.  

Hope to hear from you again!  Until then, have a great day!

Dispatch B)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:39:23 AM by Dispatch » Logged

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:15:08 AM »

Thanks Dispatch.   There really isn't much more I can add other than you are now a full member and welcome!

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »

Thanks Dispatch.   There really isn't much more I can add other than you are now a full member and welcome!
You are welcome! :winkiss:

Dispatch B)

labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:06:47 AM »

I have the VNS for TRD. Model 102. I haven't had any major problems with it. It saved my life!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: