Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: throat problems after vns  (Read 5590 times)
onemandog

« on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »

Hi everyone, I registered as a regular user, but for some reason it won't let me post over there.  I had the model 103 implanted on Aug 15 and everything was good for 48 hours and then I woke up with a hoarse voice that has never gone away.  I have been to the surgeon twice and he tells me that it is likely swelling in the vagal nerve that is causing the problem and that it will go away.  I was supposed to have this turned on Aug 28, but the epileptologist has never seen anyone lose their voice like this and did not want to chance further aggravating the nerve. He said we would take a look on Oct 1 and if the issues with my voice has settled we will consider turning it on very slowly. I have seen an Ear Nose and Throat doctor and know that there is an issue with the left vocal cord only functioning at like 10%.  The ENT felt that this was something that would resolve over time, but told me to stop talking or doing anything else that uses my vocal chords period.  I am a singer and am quite worried that my voice will never come back.  Can any of you tell me if anyone else has been down this road and what the end result was?  Any and all feedback would be appreciated as I am feeling like I am out there on my own right now and it is kind of lonely.  This is my third attempt at surgery for seizures as I have had full blown brain surgery twice.

Chris
Bernard
Excelsior!
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:11:42 AM »

Hi Chris,  sorry your post didn't receive any replies up to now.

There are a few members here that are also singers and they have all faced challenges with their voices.

Your situation does sound unusual though.  Hopefully it's just a transition/healing period from the surgery and not indicative of any permanent damage.

What do you know about neurofeedback?
Check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments.
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:10:17 AM »

There is another thread Here  :)  

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Bernard
Excelsior!
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »

:ph43r:

: gun_owned :  

What do you know about neurofeedback?
Check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments.
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »

LOL HAHA!!!  I thought I was going bazerk there for a second thinking I had responded, then felt like rubbish thinking I hadn't till BB came along and did the HERE thing....

Dispatch B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: