Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vns and pacemakers  (Read 10178 times)
Patty
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »

It has been awhile since I posted on here I have forgot my log on.But I have a question
I rememebr reading somewhere that the vns can interfere with a pacemaker and you shouldn't be so closed  to someone who has a pacemaker if you have the vns.
My question there is a lady in my aqua classs who has a pacemaker am I suppose to stay away from her.I can not find the literature I remember reading this did I read wrong or is this acurate. thanks for the feedback.Patty
oreo
Moderators

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:35:05 AM »

Hi Patty,

I did a quick search on the forum and there is information that people with different types of pulse generating devices (like VNS/pacemakers) MAY cause problems for each other's devices.  Something about the frequency they use.

You should check with your doctor and/or Cyberonics to find out what problems or symptoms the two of you may encounter...and what you need to do to make sure you are safe.

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.
~James Yorke~
gel61820
Moderators

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »

Hello Patty,

I have chosen to practice safety over sorrow and no longer hug my friend who has a pacemaker. While the manual says it MAY cause interference, I would rather give up that hug than cause any problems for my friend.

We have no problems sitting next to each other, being in the same room, etc.  We have just chosen to not hug as this brings us in such close contact.

Hugs,
Cindy

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

VNS implanted July 2007 for Epilepsy.  Activated August 2007.  No success, so VNS was turned off in August 2008 and COMPLETELY removed (including coils) on Nov 25, 2008.
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »

:D HI Patty!

Sorry I missed your post yesterday.

From what I've read, pacemakers and VNS devices can interfer with each other, but I'm not exactly sure how.  I would go with the suggestions Oreo and Cindy gave and talk to your Doc & Cyberonics.

If I remember right, on the log in page you can request your username/password.  I hope I'm not misdirecting you, and I'm sure Birdbomb (the Administrator of the site) can help you out.

Please come back and visit with us again!

Dispatch B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:13:46 AM »

Friday morning the paramedics pulled up in front of my neighbor's house and he was taken to the hospital.  I didn't find out what had happened until this morning.

Several years ago he had a massive heart attack and the surgeon perfomed a quadruple by-pass using a vein  graft from his leg.  Then about 6 months ago he had a pacemaker implanted.

Friday the pacemaker malfunctioned causing him to get shocks, but the SCARY part was, he could NOT use the phone.  EVERY time he tried to call 911, it cause more shocks. The RF fequency of his pacemaker and his phone must have been the same!  He finally dialed 911 and threw the phone across the room.  911 will respond to hang-up calls here in Vegas

The VNS and pacemakers work on the same basic principal. Radio Frequencies.  Interferance can come from ANY OTHER devise that utilizes the same communication method.  A malfunction can happen (although rare) and a crossed signal can cause misfiring.

My neighbor is still in the hospital and not doing very well.  I don't know if he experianced any further heart damage.  This is a MOST frightening thing to happen because so many electronic devises use RF. ...phones, IPOD, etc.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
gel61820
Moderators

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »

Donna,

I am so sorry to hear about your neighbor.  This is such a terrifying account but I must say I am not surprised as so many electronic devices use RF.  I hope your neighbor recovers soon.

Hugs,
Cindy

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

VNS implanted July 2007 for Epilepsy.  Activated August 2007.  No success, so VNS was turned off in August 2008 and COMPLETELY removed (including coils) on Nov 25, 2008.
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 04:11:35 AM »

Hey Birdbomb!

I hope your neighbor has a good recovery.  That had to be very scarey and traumatic.  It is very mind boggling, but really no surprise considering radio frequencies.  My Husband is a radio man, and I told him about your post.  He wasn't surprised, and added he was glad my VNS is out.

Dispatch B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:32:16 AM »

I will up date his condition as soon as I hear from his step-daughter.  But the fact that he is still in the hospital says he's not doing too well.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »

Thanks for the info i go to my neuro in sept so I will have to ask him. I told the gal in my class I am not be rude but  we hold hand before class and do a prayer circle and I told her I'm not standing beside you becuase you have the pacemaker and I have the vns and i thought it was something about the frequecy. She ask me if I could find the info becuse tshe never heard of a ns. But probaly it would mean like hugging a person don't you think. And wow Birdbomb hope your neighbor will be all right that is to scary.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 02:57:33 AM »

I thought I reply to this but must of not push a right button. Birdbom sorry about your neighbor how scary hope all turns out ok for him.

I go to my neuro in sept so I will ask him. I told the lady in the pool that I wasn't be rude but I just didn't think it was best for me to stand by her. She said she never heard of the vns and she said  she forget she has the pacemaker sometimes that she can get around amircowaves wit no problem so she said she didn't think I would interfere with ther it is probaly meaning like hugging but I just didn't want to take any chance and mess up the frequency. thanks for all the replys patty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: