Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VNS removal ?  (Read 8476 times)
Regina
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:44:44 PM »

Can a MRI be done on someone who has has the VNS removed only leaving the coils around the nerve.  Is it save to have MRI done with coils left around the nerve.
MissJennie

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:58:25 AM »

according to what I read on the FDA web site, IT IS NOT SAFE TO HAVE A MRI, WITH ANY OF IT LEFT INSIDE OF YOU.

Go check out the site, it is very interesting what you will find there.

Jennie

PS, my nick name is Jennie, my real name is Regina, small world.

Implanted April 2006 for TRD
Explant July 23, 2008, Coil left in Sad
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »

I don't think you can have a MRI with the leads in place.

ellgee
Suspended

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »

Only Specific MRI manufactuers have been cleared through Cyberonics as being safe for patients needing an MRI.  Contact Cyberonics and the facility who will perform your MRI and make certain that the manufacturer of the MRI is compatable.

Many hospital and outpatient Xray facilities are requiring Cyberonics send them the documentation prior performing an MRI on a patient with VNS.  (This also holds true for other implanted devices, such as cardiac pacemakers).

All my postings on the VNS Message Board are copyrighted, you cannot copy and paste them onto other message boards without my or BirdBomb's consent in writing.   I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Attitude:  "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.  and so with you, we are in charge of our own attitudes."    Charles Swindell
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:43:50 AM »

In my VNS days, I had to have a brain MRI.  I had a head coil send and receive one.  The device had to be shut off for that.  I never had issues with having an MRI until then.  The device for this type of MRI is placed over your face and upper neck and sits about maybe 2 inches from your nose.  That was uncomfortable and feeling like being in a casket really overwhelmed me.  :Help:  Never freaked out on an MRI until then.  The techs had to stop, I couldn't quit shaking.  So, I had to go back under sedation.  EEEWWW.  :Icky:  They knocked me out before they even slid me in the MRI.

Dispatch

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
gel61820
Moderators

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:49:21 AM »

Oh my, Dispatch, I have never had problems with MRIs (prior to VNS) but doubt I could do that one... too dang close for comfort, definitely!

I have not had an MRI since the VNS was implanted and from what I have read one needs to be very cautious on this issue.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Hugs,
Cindy

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

VNS implanted July 2007 for Epilepsy.  Activated August 2007.  No success, so VNS was turned off in August 2008 and COMPLETELY removed (including coils) on Nov 25, 2008.
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:49:51 AM »

I imagine I would feel like I was in a casket too! Yeek........................!

Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 04:05:47 AM »

Oh yeah, that was not one of my favorite VNS moments.  I am so glad my coils are out and there are no more worries.

Have a lovely day!  The sun is shining brightly and it is already hot here!  The hummingbirds are really loving my flowers.  It is so cool to watch. :D

Dispatch

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: