Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VNS for depression treatment  (Read 4269 times)
Ogre

« on: April 18, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »

My wife is a candidate for VNS to treat her depression....taking part in a study, since the insurance won't help...if anyon3 has any experience with this...let me know...I  don't know what to expect...
oreo
Moderators

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:31:56 AM »

Hi Ogre,

Have you "joined" the forum so that you can read about the experiences of so many who have posted?

I found that after I joined, it really helped me to surf around and get a feel for the positive and negative outcomes people have experienced.  I spent a couple of hours over a few days "researching" the stories and experiences already posted.  The wealth of information and detailed experiences are amazing.

My VNS was implanted almost 2 years ago for treatment resistant depression.  I've had some improvement in a few areas, but so far, nothing like I had hoped for.  I do experience quite a few uncomfortable/sometimes painful side effects every five minutes when the device in ON.

Who is "funding" this study?  Is it Cyberonics?  If not, what is the purpose of the study and how many people are involved?  Have "they" assured you in writing of ongoing care/payment including the periodic adjustments to adjust the settings, replacement of the generator every 3-8 years when the battery goes dead, and any intervening care that may be required due to possible adverse side effects?

For some this procedure has been a God Send...for others...HELL (with lots of people somewhere in between on the spectrum).

Hope you find what you're looking for.

The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.
~James Yorke~
Bernard
Excelsior!
Global Moderators

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »

Ten must-ask questions about joining a clinical trial

What do you know about neurofeedback?
Check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: