Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VNS settings changing on OWN  (Read 7403 times)
Kaia

« on: January 18, 2008, 04:18:33 AM »

My daughter has had her VNS for over 6 years.  She has had one battery changed in that time.  Now we are having problems with it changing its settings on its own.  Example.  We went in two weeks ago had it set.  Wrote down the settings.  Went in yesterday because seizures and attitude were bad (more seizures worse attitude).  Found out it had switched to 60 minutes off 30 seconds on.  It is only supposed to be off for 3 minutes.  This is not the first time this has happened.  Can anyone give me some answers?
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 07:01:43 AM »

The battery might be at EOS. I've had my VNS over two years and I've already had a battery replacement. Talk to your doctor.

Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:17:43 AM »

Sounds like a malfunction.  Has your doctor done an interrigation?

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Kaia

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:57:44 AM »

The doctor can't figure out why this keeps happening.  What is EOS?  When the doc checked the battery about 2 weeks ago it was good still.  
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »

EOS is end of service.... the batteries are being depleted.

Has your doctor contacted Cyberonics?  If the unit keeps resetting itself this is a malfunction and needs to be replaced.  A malfunction may not happen very often but it DOES happen. This would be considered a matter of utmost importance because if the unit is malfunctioning, there is no telling what it will do.  Over stimulation can be damaging to the nerve, not to mention extremely painful.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Kaia

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:52:51 AM »

Thank you for all your answers.  I have called the docs again and want to bring her in to get it checked out to make sure it is set at where it was set last Thursday.  She is having such a rough time of it with seizures and pinching.  She is total care and cannot tell us what is happening so we really have to advocate for her.  I will keep you updated.
ellgee
Suspended

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 04:55:54 AM »

Remember the generator is a small computer and yes it can devolp problems.  Call Cyberonics, if it isn't holding the paramenter settings, then it needs to be replaced and returned to Cyberonics.

All my postings on the VNS Message Board are copyrighted, you cannot copy and paste them onto other message boards without my or BirdBomb's consent in writing.   I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Attitude:  "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.  and so with you, we are in charge of our own attitudes."    Charles Swindell
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: