Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Patient Magnets - NO CHARGE!  (Read 22706 times)
wendy1966

« on: December 12, 2007, 04:03:51 AM »

I do not want to carry a magnet and risk ruining the electronics that I use every/all day.   Instead my plan is to place them in areas that I hang out.
I decided to purchase 2 more magnets.  

So with credit card in hand I dialed up cyberonics.

To my surprise I was told that they no longer charge patients for extra magnets!
Woohoo!  

Since the end of August there has been no charge.  Just call your doc and ask them to order the extra magnets for you.  

Good news.   :)  

adult-onset epilepsy sept 2005
COMPLETE VNS removal -  6/18/08.
May 2009 - waiting for resection surgery in July.  
Currently missing a softball sized piece of my skull. YIKES!
icon- my sweet Daisy - Neapolitan Mastiff
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:08:33 AM »

Cool beans!                                                      

Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:03:18 AM »

This is true!

Thank you so much for this info Wendy!  You're a

I just called CYBX and was told the magnets are considered a medical device and you need to contact your physician and have him/her order it.  They can send it directly to you but the doctor has to order it by calling customer service 1-800-332-1375 extention 7288
[/size]

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Bonnie

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »

At least something is Free.  The last I heard is that they cost money.  I plan on leaving mine in my closet.  As I have not had any problems so far.  That is where they are now.  In the box on my top shelf, in the closet.  I have not had any shortness of breath when doing physical activity yet either, so far.  So, I hope I won't need them.  If I go on vacation, I may take one with me.  Just in case.  Thanks for the info. Wendy.  Hope you are doing well.
Sincerely,
Bonnie
wendy1966

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:53:06 PM »

Hey Bonnie,

If you ever need to use a magnet quickly and they are still in the box don't bother to take them out.   You can swipe the box across your chest and it will work.  

Freaky, huh?  

Hope you are doing well too!

Wendy

TBI

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »

I keep my magnet in my pocket at all times. I have not had any problem with my electonics  : throw : , including my Blackberry phone which I carry on the other hip almost all of the time. I think that so long as you don't have the magnet directly attached to the electronics you will be just fine.

Karen  : newbie :

Fay
Moderators

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:49:04 AM »

You need to carry a magnet with you at all times regardless if you the VNS for seizures or for TRD. If something happens and it needs to be turned off immediately you'll need the magnet to be held over your VNS until it can be totally turned off. Not to scare you or anything but the VNS has been known to turn up the settings spontaniously. It's extremely rare but it happens. Another reason is that you have seizures you def need to carry one with you at all times so it can used to stop a seizure if needed. Scott wore his around his ankle- over his sock so it was easy to get to and didn't have to worry about it messing up a computer or anything. During the summer he did get a few stares from people thinking he had a home monitor and was under house arrest. We just smiled and let them think what they wanted to think most of the time. Of course if anyone asked him what he did wrong, he simply told them while showing them his VNS. Most of the time they would apoligize for thinking he was under house arrest. During the winter though his pants hid it and he didn't have any problems.
gel61820
Moderators

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »

This is wonderful to hear.  I will let one of my friends know this as they recently lost one of theirs.  Thanks!

:im_033:

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

VNS implanted July 2007 for Epilepsy.  Activated August 2007.  No success, so VNS was turned off in August 2008 and COMPLETELY removed (including coils) on Nov 25, 2008.
wendy1966

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 11:13:50 AM »

You need to carry a magnet with you at all times regardless if you the VNS for seizures or for TRD. If something happens and it needs to be turned off immediately you'll need the magnet to be held over your VNS until it can be totally turned off. Not to scare you or anything but the VNS has been known to turn up the settings spontaniously. It's extremely rare but it happens. Another reason is that you have seizures you def need to carry one with you at all times so it can used to stop a seizure if needed. Scott wore his around his ankle- over his sock so it was easy to get to and didn't have to worry about it messing up a computer or anything. During the summer he did get a few stares from people thinking he had a home monitor and was under house arrest. We just smiled and let them think what they wanted to think most of the time. Of course if anyone asked him what he did wrong, he simply told them while showing them his VNS. Most of the time they would apoligize for thinking he was under house arrest. During the winter though his pants hid it and he didn't have any problems.
I absolutely love the ankle idea.....even more so because of people wondering about the house arrest thing.     :lol:
Your son was a very good sport.  

It's so easy to forget that it is on your waist and flop the laptop down right on it.  Or throw it in a pocket, bag, or briefcase with the cellphone, palm pilot, or some other techie gadget.....or worse...my debit card.  :fear:

The ankle is a great idea.  

Oh...I started this post to say that my additional magnets arrived a few days ago.
It is the same little box that they gave me after implant.  It has the booklets and the id cards, the two magnets, the belt clip, and the velcro attacher.  

labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 11:37:06 AM »

I like the ankle idea! Leave it to a kid!          

pjcapp

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 12:07:26 AM »

I just found this out also last week too. My Doctor though new nothing about it, of course.

The ankle idea is a super idea since I carry a lot of electronics on me to do my thing, I immedietly put it on my ankle!

You all are the best.

Paul
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »

You all are the best.

Paul

nesey

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 12:52:47 AM »

Hi to everyone.

My daughter had the vns implanted three weeks ago and so far no problems, although I am aware its early days, but we are hoping it will give her a better quality of life than she has at the moment.

Whilst at our appointment with the epilepsy nurse I mentioned the free of charge magnets being offered from Cyberonics.  The nurse has contacted the UK side of Cyberonics and Fable and been told that we have to pay for additional magnets, can anyone tell me, is it free just to American patients ? because we in the UK are given two free with the manual. Clarification would be very usefull because my daughter does not want to wear the strap magnet and I can see that she will loose/misplace the belt one.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to you all, and thanks for all the advise passed on through this site its much appreciated.

Nesey x :im_033:

Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 05:40:01 AM »

I could not find this offer on the UK site.  Maybe if you contact your doctor and request he contact Cyberonics and find out if the same offer will be honored in other countries.

Mom from Holland

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 06:42:14 PM »

In Holland it is for free too!

Life isn`t how to survive the storm,but how to dance in the rain!

Nino`s Mom, from Holland.
 Mom of a 16 years old son, vns since 2002.
Mom from Holland

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »

Strange, i could not edit something on my last message?

Well, i to have make a new reply!

At this moment the magnets are for free. But cyberonics told us, if there are too many people ask for new ones, it will be maybe to expensive and they have to pay for it.

At this moment it is only a service!   : g :  

Life isn`t how to survive the storm,but how to dance in the rain!

Nino`s Mom, from Holland.
 Mom of a 16 years old son, vns since 2002.
jelliott

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »

When I was activated last month, the Cyberonics rep that was at the appointment made it known that the magnets are indeed free, however I could only get them by having my neurologist ordering them.  So, we ordered an extra set for me and have another set at the Dr.'s office.  Now, my wife carries one with her in her car.  I have the pager style on my belt.  I have one here at work and another at home.  My neuro advised me not to hesitate in ordering them if I think I might need an extra set.

As for the Cyberonics rep, she's not all there from what I have noticed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: