Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alone in autism  (Read 5718 times)
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« on: September 24, 2006, 01:10:28 PM »

Alone in autism

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Fay
Moderators

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:00:50 AM »

Thanks for posting this BB. I read it and cried. Scott was diagnosed with autism at age 2 and experienced many of the autism bahaviors for years. After we started the diet (Jan. 2005) and the seizures started going away, we saw more of the "real Scott". Then when we started weaning him off all the seizure meds and behavior meds, the autism and behavior problems left right along with the seizures and especially with the medications. It is just amazing to see  and know "the real Scott" now.
The only autism behaviors we see (and they are mild) are that he still doesn't like crowds or noisy places, doesn't like major changes and he still likes to line things up but he doesn't throw a fit or have a meltdown but rather just complains that he doesn't like it. A HUGE difference in him now. Sometimes when he feels overwelmed, he'll spin his "eyeball" balls for about 15 to 20 minutes and it calms him down. The eyeball balls are these small toy balls (about 5 inches round) that look like an eyeball that changes color as you move them and the "iris" moves around the ball at the same time. It's a pretty funky ball to watch but for some reason Scott loves them. My hubby bought the kids 2 each years ago at a convience store down the street around Halloween time but Scott stole the other kids and wouldn't give them back. Myhubby had to buy the other 3 kids something else because of it. He's down to only 3 now (out of 8) and don't know what we'll do when they quit working like the others did. Everywhere we go we look for them but haven't found any yet.
POSITIVEPERSON

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:11:37 AM »

Hi Fay look on line for the toys.
When I use to swim there was a women thier who worked with asperge
autism children. Slowly the kids would let her touch them under the water.
She taught them indiviually to swim and to go under the water to get toys.
It would take  about a year . She was great with them. Reading the article
was very upsetting to me. But I remembered my friend who taught the
special swimming class privatly and all her small successes after a year.

Its so nice to hear that a diet helped you see and reach your son.

(((hugs)))
Riva
every small step counts and should be celebrated!!

Riva (POSITIVEPERSON) passed away October 26, 2007
We all mourn the loss of this wonderful lady.
Fay
Moderators

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:31:54 AM »

Thankd Riva. So far the ketogenic diet had given us a miracle. I won't be shouting too loud until he's been totally off the diet for 6 months and is still totally seizure free. THEN I will be shouting it from the roof top!
Thanks for the tip about holding toys under water to help teach them how to swim. I would have never thought of that. This whole summer all we were able to do was get Scott to finally move from the top step to the next. So instead of just his feet getting wet he handled up to his knees getting wet. At the speed we were going we were thinking maybe we needed to just give up trying to get him into the water. I know he'd have a blast if we could just get in and get him to understand that his feet will touch the bottom and that he'd be standing up so "can't fall". My hubby and I think that Scott thinks the water- even in a pool- must be like being in the sky because he keeps telling us "I don't want to fall" so he's too scared to go into the water. Plus as far back as he can remember we couldn't even let him have a bath because water was a seizure trigger so it was get him into the roll-in shower and get everything done as fast as you can praying the entire time you'd at least get the shampoo or soap off before he had a seizure.
So he's scared of water anyway which makes it hard now that the seizures are gone to convince him that it's ok to play in the water now. He just don't get it! next year we'll try the toy trick and hopefully get somewhere.
Yes, I read the list of toys every year. It's been a huge help with finding something that is safe for kids who have lots of seizures every day plus have other problems too. We are lucky enough to live not too far from a Lekotek and when Scott was in elementary school his class went on field trips there every 3 months. They had a "lending library" card so they could check out a toy to being home. Now that he's in high school he's too old for it so they go on shopping trips, comunity skills and to "work" 3 days a week instead so are focusing on social and vocational skills.

POSITIVEPERSON

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:53:55 AM »

The child is given a snorkel so he can breath and she slowly gets them into
the water the toy falls to the floor .So first they look for it after she gets
them walking in the water than she teaches them how to use the snorkel
and put their face in the water. Than each one of them slowly goes under water and they see her.
Than they go for the toys on the bottom. Its avery slow process. She is great with each child
she works with.

This is done in a walking pool,kiddie pool  (Its indoors) with no other pple around
other than the family.

Riva

Riva (POSITIVEPERSON) passed away October 26, 2007
We all mourn the loss of this wonderful lady.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: