Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Procedures in Epilepsy Patients"  (Read 11753 times)
howdydave

« on: February 19, 2006, 01:43:57 AM »

Howdy!

Somebody posted this site on a different board.

Lots of good information!

Procedures In Epilepsy Patients

Dave
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »

Good reading...thought I'd bring this thread back to life and see if anyone has anything else to add with their experiences.

Have any of you ever had a seizures and/or increased depression induced by a high pain level?  How about seizures/depression induced by stress, lack of sleep, not eating right, not enough exercise, med changes?  It is a given seizures/depression can be caused by the above mentioned, just wondering what are the major inducers to those of us here on the board.  

Dispatch B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

"I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some..." Jason Mraz

ALL MY POSTINGS ON THE VNS MESSAGE BOARD ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »

If lack of sleep and stress were mine, I'd be status 24/7  <_<  

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Bernard
Excelsior!
Global Moderators

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 03:14:41 AM »

Have any of you ever had a seizures and/or increased depression induced by a high pain level?
It's an interesting question.  My wife did not experience any seizures when delivering our second child even though she was having TCs about once a week or so leading up to that event.  She had a natural (water) birth (no epidural) and claims it is the most painful thing she ever experienced.  Child #1 was born in the same fashion (minus the seizures while he was in utero).

*After* both deliveries, her seizure activity increased - but she didn't experience seizures at the time.  I have often wondered if the increased post-delivery seizure activity was related to hormone changes, or trauma.

Oh, and when I first met her and went with her to a doctor's appointment (long before she started neurofeedback for the first time), the doc was very amused to notice her unusual response to pain.  She never cried or winced - her physical reaction was always to laugh.  

Also, that little test they do with the small rubber hammer tapping the knee - her leg did not kick outward as expected.  Her knee would jump upwards.

I think the wiring in her brain for pain response was a bit different from normal.

Lately though, her pain response is more normal (including the knee test), so I'm hopeful that is a good sign for her.

What do you know about neurofeedback?
Check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments.
Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:11:53 AM »

Wow Bernard, you've got a trooper there!  My brain injury/seizures were after I had the kids, so had no problems with that issue, but had an emergency C-section with the 1st due to Toxemia and that can cause seizures.  2nd was natural birth, and it was the worst pain I have ever had (but then again I say during a horrific headache I'd rather be having a baby).  My left knee responds like your wife's with the malet deal, but it depends on the day, sometimes they can get my leg to go out.  Sounds to me (just an observational thought) regarding your wife's pain response that Neurofeedback has helped with redirection.....interesting.

Stress is a huge factor in my seizures.  We've noticed most of my breakthru's are when I am on overload.

Dispatch B)

VNS for TRD implant November, 2006.  Complete device removal including coils April, 2008.

Birdbomb
Head Cheese
Administrator

Head Cheese

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:33:38 AM »

Stacy's does sound more hormonal.  Does she have ADHD?  The laughing with pain is something I noticed about kids with ADHD.  Lovely traight that runs in my family.  The second borne children of both my sister and oldest brother were extremely ADHD kids.  When they got whippings, they would laugh, much to the exaperation and fustration of the parents.

Pain is a factor for me.  I had a hard time when I had that knee replacement in 2004.  When the IV morphine pump was allowed to run dry, here came the seizures!  I also have a form of ADHD, my reactions are in the normal range, but pain is an issue for me.

This thread may go off into an interesting discussion.  It has now peaked my curiosity about connections of ADHD and epilepsy.  Be right back...google is calling!

"If you are going through hell, keep going." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)
VNS implanted Sept 02, turned off Dec 04, Generator ex-planted Nov 07
Electrodes are in me for LIFE!
Bernard
Excelsior!
Global Moderators

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »

Does she have ADHD?
I don't think so.  She's never been diagnosed as such and I have never had reason to consider it a possibility.

What do you know about neurofeedback?
Check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments.
labrat
Global Moderators

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »

I haven't noticed anything different other than my depression is gone. I'm under extreme stress right now, but no depression.

Dispatch
Riding Shotgun
Global Moderators

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

I haven't noticed anything different other than my depression is gone. I'm under extreme stress right now, but no depression.
That is FANTASTIC news Labrat!  :punk:  Please keep up the great work and hang in there!  Thinkin' about ya! :bigarmhug:

Dispatch B)

howdydave

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »

Anything that kicks my immune system into gear increases my seizure activity.

Even a cold sore!

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: